Ostrov Castle

Author: admin
Historical monuments Tours

Ostrov Castle was built on the site of the original castle from the 13th century. The Renaissance appearance of the castle was due to Kašpar Šlik, who had the family residence of the Šlik family built here at the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries. The most important influence on the appearance of the castle was made by Julius Franz, Duke of Saxe-Lauenburg, who in the second half of the 17th century invited the help of important builders of his time (Abraham Leuthner, Christopher Dientzenhofer and Giulio Broggi). He had a new castle, the Lauenburg Castle, added to the original Šlikov castle. After a fire in 1691, the Šlik castle was rebuilt as an adjoining wing of the castle. The current appearance of the castle grounds is the result of modifications and reconstructions carried out by the Grand Dukes of Tuscany during the 19th and 20th centuries. The emblem of the imperial eagle, located above the main entrance, refers to them. From 1962 to 2012, the Island Castle was the seat of the Ostrov Secondary School of Industry. Between 2012 and 2014, the castle building was extensively renovated at a cost of almost CZK 200 million. The castle’s history is estimated at CZK 200 million. This successful reconstruction was awarded the Construction of the Year of the Karlovy Vary Region 2015.


Evropská unie. Evropský fond pro regionální rozvoj.

The project no. 100283815 "Use of modern interactive technologies for the protection, preservation and promotion of natural and cultural heritage" is carried out within the framework of the cross-border cooperation program between the Czech Republic and the Free State of Saxony 2014-2020