Church of St. James the Great

Author: admin
Historical monuments Tours
Romanesque style

Its foundation dates back to the consecration in 1226. Originally a parish church, later a cemetery church, it was built in the late Romanesque style, as evidenced by its entrance portal. A square presbytery is attached to the rectangular nave of the church made of rubble masonry. An octagonal open bell tower with a two-armed cross rises on the roof made of split shingles. The church underwent its first major reconstruction since its foundation in 1606. At the beginning of the 20th century the building was condemned to demolition. Fortunately, this did not happen and in 1912 it was completely reconstructed. Since the beginning of the 21st century, the church has been owned by the City of Ostrov and has been gradually undergoing partial reconstruction. Currently the church is used as a place of final farewell. The church is exceptional for its historical and architectural value and breathes the ancient history of our town.


Evropská unie. Evropský fond pro regionální rozvoj.

The project no. 100283815 "Use of modern interactive technologies for the protection, preservation and promotion of natural and cultural heritage" is carried out within the framework of the cross-border cooperation program between the Czech Republic and the Free State of Saxony 2014-2020